As part of the advertising photography unit, the other project we were set was to create an above the line advertising campaign for a brand of our choice. Whatever image we chose as our final one, we had to make sure it fit in three types of billboard layout. A 48 sheet, a 96 sheet and a showcase square.
The negatives I had with this project was mainly down to models. I had my makeup artists sorted almost straight away, as to me that was the most important thing, was a good MUA for a beauty shoot. The models however, I had a few drop out on me and a few to not reply, so at one point I was stuck in a bit of a rutt. However, while I was stressing over models dropping out, I ended up with one extra model than how I had originally planned, one of them being model and celebrity, Chloe Jasmine Whichello.
The positives were that my whole team got on really well when it was the day of my shoot. Everyone turned up and on time, and they were all very conformable in front of the camera, making it easier for me when it came to directing them.
If I was to do this project again I would perhaps make on or two of the makeup looks slightly bolder with some glitter, or perhaps more coloured eyeshadow. Although, I was more than happy with the looks that were created, I think the eyes or lips on some of the models needed a bit more of an impact. One other thing I would change if I was to do this project again would be to conduct a better test shoot to give myself visual idea of what I’d want it to look like.
Overall, I feel that I fit my brief well, and created a strong set of images with a strong final billboard campaign for Illamasqua. I kept the brand guidelines within my images, so the brand elements were still a key part of my campaign.
As one part of the advertising photography unit we were set a project to create a ‘below the line campaign’ for the National Trust. Our final outcomes would consist of 4x posters and 1x brochure to advertise what the National Trust do/are about.
Lets start with the negatives, get those out the way first. First of all, I came across a bump in the road when I had to change my location. I was originally going to shoot my project in the Lake District but due to car troubles and being tight for money, I had to change it to the Peak District. Which at first I was gutted about as I loved the look of the cafes I had chosen but this problem was soon resolved. Secondly, I had issues with a form of portable flash that I took away with me for the photoshoots, to the point where it simply would not work. I tried everything I could think of to try and fix it, I even tested it beforehand. When it came to going away to shoot for this project, the flash was having none of it. Next, there was a slight issue with one of the cafes. Forget Me Not Coffee Shop in the town of Matlock. After contacting them in advance and checking online to see the best time to go, on the day I planned to go there, they had to close early due to staff issues, as I had got there. Meaning I only had the chance to quickly walk around and photograph the interior design and some of the displays. It was unfortunate I couldn’t capture any images of the food, drink or people to really show off this cafe.
Now onto a more positive note! The positives of my project were that I got eat and drink some lovely tea, coffee and breakfasts while shooting. I also got to visit a place I had never been before, and also visit the surrounding towns for the first time. I got to meet a lot of friendly people, some who want me to send images over for their own personal website and social media use. I managed to capture the images I had planned by sketching it out beforehand. And lastly, I feel I have improved at still life on location photography. I used my camera on Manual the whole time, so I learnt some new things with the settings and lighting and how it affected what my picture looked like.
I would love to do this project all over again, but this time use a flash. Whether it be portable flash kit, flash gun or just my camera flash. I would love to see the difference between using a flash and no flash.
This particular set of images were the hardest to choose my final ones from. There were so many images that I took that I really liked, but could only choose 7 final images for the brochure layout.
I chose these 7 images as they were my favourite things about the place; the vintage tea pots, the table aesthetic, the food, the wall display, the cake, furniture and old fashioned kids toys. The images I chose show of the best assets that the tea room has to offer. These parts are what make it unique.
As a series I feel that my posters and brochure work well and they all show the unique assets each cafe/tea room has to offer.
I edited the images for my brochure the same way I did for my posters. I made subtle changes to the brightness, contrast, highlights and shadows so that they all still looked natural, to stick with the consistency.
This is the last contact sheet for the final shoot that I carried out for this project. The last location I visited to take images for my brochure was ‘Something Lovely’ tea room in Puckeridge. This was my favourite location that I visited out of all five. It was so quirky, vintage looking and colourful! I loved it! Also, the coffee, tea and lunch I had there were really nice and again, cheaply priced. It was definitely worth the drive!
These are the chosen images that I put into the layouts to create my final four posters. After going through my images I had a clear idea of which ones that I wanted to use as some stood out to me more than others. With picking which final images I wanted to use I had to make sure that I chose my images carefully to almost ‘sell’ the cafe to the people viewing my posters. As my aim was to advertise them to show the audience why the cafes are a good place to visit, I had to make sure the images that I chose really showed of the best assists of each location.