Project Evaluation

Positives-

  • Proud of the images I have taken
  • Selected good images to tell an obvious story
  • Got everything planned and completed in time
  • Had new experiences photographing at Smithfield’s Meat Market
  • Gained practise in book design and printing

********************************************************************************

Negatives-

  • Should’ve had a few more places in mind to photograph each section of my story, to have back up options for when places turned round and said no
  • Started shooting a bit earlier so the editing and printing process didn’t take so long afterwards
  • Have my book layout completed a bit sooner so I could’ve had time to send it off and get a hard back copy printed and finished

********************************************************************************

Improvements-

  • Take more images at a few more places so I had more images and story to work with
  • Give myself more time before hand in to have a professional hardback copy printed

 

Printing My Book

My First Copy-

This is the first copy of my book that I had printed when it was in my original layout design. I took it to a printers in town and decided to get it ring bound to add a different style to my book to look different from the usual book style. However, when I collected my finished book, I noticed that they had shuffled the pages around, meaning that the pages in the book looked different to the PDF layout. It wasn’t a huge problem as it didn’t make a huge difference to my book and I was still happy with how my book had turned out. However, when seeing the images so small, I did regret not having them at a larger scale.

 


My Second Copy-

This is the second copy of my book that I had printed within the same day of putting it in to be printed. This version came out a lot better and I decided to have it book stapled rather than ring bound. Although I wanted a hardback cover for my book I wasn’t able to get one made and printed in time so I had to settle for having a paperback version. The images came out good quality and they looked so much better being spread across double pages. It gave my images a lot more emphasis and power on the story, giving better detail to the gruesome content.

Changing My Photo Book

After a last tutorial I had with Celine, I showed her my book layout that I had previously made and she said that she liked the story and the images and also the red theme. However she said to take out the captions from the pages with the images on as they weren’t necessary and Celine also advised me to make some of my images larger, covering more of the single page and adding in some double page spreads.

I went back to my InDesign file and changed my layout quite a bit. I changed the front and back cover to a much simpler design and added my name to the inside of the book and a plain double page spread. I kept the read pages stating the different sections as that helped break up the story. With my images I enlarged majority of them, meaning I had a lot more double page spreads in my book, and I also had a lot more single page spreads without the boarders. When enlarging my images I had some with uneven space and large gaps around them to create the certain look I wanted. I didn’t particularly want a uniform boarder around all of my images, making it look very simple and repetitive. This was something Celine also enlightened me on as she said that it breaks it up a bit more and makes it a bit better to read.


After following Celine’s advice and changing my book layout, I am so much happier with my book and the story. I feel that the added double page spreads give my images a bit more emphasis and add effect to the gruesome content.

Putting My Book Layout Together

After editing and selecting my best images to tell my story, I started to put them into an InDesign document that I would export as a PDF for my final book layout. Going by my previous research, planning and ideas I knew that I wanted to have a simple looking layout with a lot of blank space and spare pages.

I decided on a red theme running throughout my book to represent the colour of blood, as this is quite a sinister story I felt that it fit well into the story I created.

I experimented with different image sizes on the page, different boarders and bleeds and also different image orders to tell my story, and I was happy with this layout so settled with it and exported into a PDF to be printed.

I felt that this layout was simple enough to not distract the views attention from my images and I also liked how I told the story with the image I chose and the red pages separating the sections of the story.

Editing My Best Images

To edit my best images that told the story the best I put them into Lightroom and used the lighting, contrast and saturation settings to edit them. I didn’t want to retouch my images in any way apart from adjusting the natural lighting used to capture them.

Below are the images that I am going to use in my book to tell my story on the process of meat from life, to human consumption.

Contact Sheet 2- Smithfield’s Meat Market

These are my images from my trip to Smithfield’s Meat Market to photograph the slaughter stage of my photo story. Again, to define my best images, I labelled them with ** in their file name.

Taking these images was an experience for me as I had never experienced anything like it before. I tried to capture as much detail as possible in my images of the carcasses and the environment. From my images I feel that I captured a good amount of detail and enough to use to tell my photo story.